Did you realize that our skin is our largest organ? Think about that for a minute. How well do you protect and give it the loving attention it needs? Our skin takes fabulous care of us! It functions as both protection and a mode of elimination. Dry brushing is a method of daily hygiene that has many benefits – below you find just a few!
Dry Brushing Benefits
- Removes dried, dead cells that block the pores. Daily brushing allows the skin to breathe easier and increases its ability to eliminate the waste products of your metabolism.
- Increases circulation of the blood and lymph vessels that lie close to the surface of the skin. The blood, fluid, and its contents are returned to the heart for redistribution or elimination.
- Increases the nutrients to the skin. By clearing out stagnant materials, there is an increased oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange, and other nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, etc… are brought to the area.
- Removes waste products of cellular metabolism through blood vessels.
- Decreases the workload on the rest of the body.
- Warms the skin.
Convinced you should add this to the daily regimen?
Tips to get started dry brushing:
- Always use a natural bristled brush. (Just say NO to synthetic!)
- Use a firm upward stroke. (Brushing toward your heart facilitates better blood and lymph circulation through the body, which doctors agree is important for better health.)
- Start at your feet and work up the entire body front and back. (Concentrate on areas where lymph nodes are prominent; back of knees, inner thighs, under arms. Avoid brushing the more sensitive skin around your breast!)
Once you make this a habit, you will be rewarded with softer skin and better functioning lymph system.